World of Warcraft and Depression


Good day folks,A few months back, I was diagnosed with depression by my family doctor. For months I was spiraling down further and further, keeping it mostly to myself and hidden from my immediate family and friends. That is however, until a family member took their own life, and I just couldn't handle it. It was at this point that I hit my lowest. I didn't want to get out of bed, the idea of going to work filled me with absolute dread and despair, and I had no desire to interact with any other human being.Eventually, I found myself making my own noose, and planning out my own end. But I stopped. I remember how awful I felt when I learned of cousins passing, as well as the few friends I have lost this way years before. It isn't a nice feeling. And the thought of my family, including my wife and son going through all this left me feeling.. empty.. but I stopped what I was doing, got rid of the noose and then sought help right away.My family were fairly shocked, but were, and have been helpful. I began seeing someone to further treat myself, and my meetings with them have been fairly good.The real reason I make this thread is because after all this, when everything started to get less unbearable, and when the suicidal thoughts finally went away, I began taking more steps to lift my spirits. Bringing my son more places than normal, taking up music lessons, writing, and hiking. Lastly, after all of this. I reinstalled World of Warcraft, at first I was very apprehensive, but I am glad I did it.I created a human warrior, and began leveling. Going through Elwynn Forest for the first time in ages put a massive smile on my face, and I stayed smiling for hours. The memories came flooding back, and I felt so much better, the best I have felt in a long time. Going through all the old zones, exploring and just going at my own pace, through locations I remember from a ways back.. it was very uplifting. This feeling was at its strongest going through Stranglethorn, as that was the zone I loved most during my early days in Wrath and Cataclysm. Helping Hemit, taking out the pirates, and now chasing pets.. it was all so much fun, and felt new again.I know that the game is not a cure, more of a crutch, a stepping stone if you will. I have taken these feelings the game has given me and carried them forth to other aspects of my life and things are starting to look bright again. Am I better? No. Will I be better really soon? Probably not. But thanks to my new adventures in Azeroth I have a smile on my face more and more often, and although I am only on for a little bit each day, it really does make a big difference. When I finally can stand on my own two feet again, will I go on a hiatus from the game again? This time, I don't think so. It has helped a lot, and doing content with some new guild mates has also brightened some of my days.I want to know if anyone else has had something similar happen? I know the game can be a source of great frustration, but not a constant one, so with that said has anyone else had their spirits lifted by coming back and leveling a character, doing some raids and or pvp, or interacting with guild mates?As stated a little bit earlier, I am no where near cured, but I am improving, slowly, and every little bit is helping. Whether it's from friends and family, long walks on the trails, or adventuring through Azeroth (currently Northrend). TL;DR : I was diagnosed with depression, but my return to the game has lifted my spirits, and is really helping going forward, if only a wee bit. But it still helps.