Please Help Convince Blizzard To Add TTS


Hi Reddit,I, along with other visually impaired gamers, enjoy Blizzard games, but unfortunately, we either have a hard time seeing the in-game text or can’t see it at all. Despite this, we still play the games to the best of our abilities; however, adding something as simple as text-to-speech functionality would greatly improve our gaming experience.For example, I’m completely blind and can’t use the in-game chat to converse with other players, but if TTS was added, it would be much easier to interact with others in World of Warcraft without having to stream. Regarding Classic WoW, TTS would be especially useful because you need to use the chat to be able to find groups for dungeons. Currently, I have to post that I’m blind and can’t read the in-game chat, and since my Twitch chat is TTS, I link my Twitch and tell them I can chat with them there. Additionally, I use a similar message for retail since the mythic dungeon finder is not accessible. However, an issue with linking my Twitch channel is that some people just view it as self promotion which makes it even more difficult to find people to play with. Besides WoW, I play Overwatch, and there are other blind players that play Diablo.For those of you thinking that there should be a WoW addon to implement TTS, there somewhat is, but I’ve been told the way it gets its information is against Blizzard ToS. Also, I’ve heard that it recently stopped working because of Blizzard encrypting its chat messages. However, I haven’t tried it because I didn’t want to deal with any possible ToS issues. The addon is called Jocys TTS.Additionally, there are addons that allow me to more than keep up with sighted players. One example is an audio based healing addon called AudioQs. Another is SmartError that makes noises when you’re out of range, line of sight, get interrupted, and more. One more is BlindAssist which says if you’re following, stopped following, swimming, diving, and much more. These are just a few of the addons that help make WoW more accessible.Lately, more and more game developers have been working on incorporating accessibility features by adding functionality like TTS to allow games to become more accessible to more people. Some recent AAA games that have TTS functionality include Gears 5, Sea of Thieves, Mortal Kombat 11, Madden NFL 20, The Division 2, and more. As for Gears 5, the menus are TTS along with other in-game notifications such as countdowns, the wave number for horde, and others. Also, it has additional accessibility options like an aim assist for beginner difficulties and an audio ping to help find the fabricator. These features have helped me easily start a horde game and have fun while actually helping my team. There are even some games that have unknowingly added accessibility functionality like Resident Evil 6 where the map will orientate your character to the objective. Ultimately, game developers adding accessibility features is allowing more people to enjoy another form of entertainment that they might have otherwise thought impossible to play.Blizzard should follow the example of these developers and start taking accessibility more seriously. It can begin by adding something as simple as TTS to its games and go from there.Please help spread this around to try to get Blizzard to actually notice this and hopefully make a change.Thanks.