A new way to enjoy the game


Hello there. I'm Radius, a WoW player since 2006. I've been doing most of the things in the game; i've tried high end raiding for several expansions, PvP on a casual level, done almost 20k achivement points worth of achievments, leveling every class to max level each expansion... the list goes on. Nowadays I'm kinda busy with studies and part-time work and therefor have only some evenings available to play WoW.Since Legion, I've felt that the game have mostly felt like a chore. In order to raid with my guild on an even playfield I have felt a "must" to do certain things each day and week, which I have not been enjoying doing. So I took a break, several months even and I have now resubbed since month back. However I did not resub to play endgame content with my guild, I resubbed to just enjoy the game. Sounds wierd doesn't it?I enjoy leveling, but lately it has felt too streamlined and not immersive at all. So what I have done is apply certain rules when leveling. Not Ironman-difficult but small tweaks to make the game feel more immersive and (for me) enjoyable while leveling. Here are my rules and tweaks order in from most important to least important:No equipping items from quest, dungeons or bought from auction house. - This means that you are only allowed to equip items looted from corpses, crafted by yourself or bought from vendors.No quest-helper enabled - Yes, you have to read quest text in order to know where to go. This also means deactivating quest POIs on the minimap. I've also installed "Hide Quest Arrow" addon to disable the yellow arrow ion the minimap (which does not disappear when disabling all quest features).No use of world map - Challening for some, which might make it less enjoyable but thats up to you. I unbind my map keybind in order to not accidently open it. The quest log still opens the world map, but hey what can you do. This forces me to actually think about where and how to get to certain places (damn you Faldir's Cove!!).All in all these tweaks makes it feel more rewarding to play and level. Loot isn't easily accessible, you have to actually think to complete certain quests and you need to be more aware of your surroundings in order to orient you around the world.I also played with full ground clutter, turned off name plates, highest texture resolution and so on (on my mediocre laptop) to make the world feel alive, aswell as turning the ambience sound up to max and not looping music.I don't know about you, but these are just some small tweaks that has made me enjoy the World of Warcraft as an actual world, while leveling. I can understand that many people don't like the leveling experience and only want to play at max level, but this is something for those who actually wants to embrace the leveling experience, to make it feel rewarding. Currently I have a level 46 Rogue and a level 33 Mage that I've been leveling this way.Just some thoughts for those of you who want to enjoy the game in another way.Take care! //Radius